Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Book of Mormon weeks 31-33


Well the Summer has gone, school has started and we finally get to start class next week. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have started this week, but someone said it was not good to start the week of a holiday and I thought I needed a break, so we'll start next Wednesday noon at the Layton East Stake Center and next Thursday evening at 7 pm in the Granite Tabernacle. I think this has been the longest break I have had from teaching in 36 years and I am anxious to get back in the classroom.

I finished reading the Book of Mormon on the 239th day of the year. (Aug 26) I really enjoy reading the Book of Mormon a chapter a day. On April 26th I started again. This time I am reading it in Spanish out loud. I really need to improve my Spanish so I can communicate better with the members of our branch in Magna. Jill and I spoke in Church last Sunday (Aug. 26th) and I set the Spanish language back generations. I really thought I could speak better. I started my reading in Alma 30 because that is where we will start in our Institute classes next week.

Please remind any past or potential class members of our starting date. Send me an E-mail if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing each of you.

Gary

Thought : “In this day when the Bible is being downgraded by many who have mingled philosophies of the world with Bible scriptures to nullify their true meaning, how fortunate that our eternal Heavenly Father, who is always concerned about the spiritual well-being of His children, has given to us a companion book of scriptures, known as the Book of Mormon, as a defense for the truths of the Bible that were written and spoken by the prophets as the Lord directed. …

“By this second witness we may know more certainly the meaning of the teachings of the ancient prophets and, indeed, of the Master and His disciples as they lived and taught among men. This should inspire all who would be honest seekers after truth to put these two sacred scriptures together and study them as one book, understanding, as we do, their true relationship.” (Harold B. Lee, Ye Are the Light of the World, Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1974, pp. 89–91.)

Date
Chapter
Verse
Comments
Aug 16
Ether 15
30-31
Never give up
Aug 17
Moroni 1
3
Moroni had made up his mind that he would NEVER deny his testimony.
Aug 18
Moroni 2
2
A pattern for giving the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
Aug 19
Moroni 3
3
A pattern for Priesthood ordinations
Aug 20
Moroni 4
3
God's favorite scripture? Every week, word perfect, reading kneeling.
Aug 21
Moroni 5
2
God's other favorite scripture. Read by a worthy Priesthood holder.
Aug 22
Moroni 6
4
Why we keep track of the members of the Church.
Aug 23
Moroni 7
48
Pray with all of our hearts that we may be filled with this love.
Aug 24
Moroni 8
8
Little children are whole and are not capable of committing sin.
Aug 25
Moroni 9
6
Our obligation to our wayward family members & all those less active.
Aug 26
Moroni 10
32
We need to deny ourselves of ALL ungodliness.

This is a GREAT book!